Monday, November 11, 2013

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE IN?

Driving south on Pacific Coast Highway, I am lost in my thoughts. The music on the radio is pulsing in the background, but I have no idea what is playing.  I feel the cool breeze on my brown skin and take a deep breath, inhaling the salty smell of the ocean.  I look west and smile as I notice the bright sunlight bursting against the rapidly retreating marine layer.  Suddenly, the music in the background catches my attention.  I hear one line from a song, “Just praying to a God that I don’t believe in.”  My smile broadens.

In the white picket fenced world, you are supposed to believe in God and marriage.  If you believe in God, is it because you truly have faith?  Do you believe just because you are supposed to?  Do you, perhaps, believe out of fear?  Is it easier to be rescued, than to face your demons on your own?  We all have our own pickets to tear down. 

My personal path to freedom from the confines of the white picket fenced world included admitting I was praying to a God I did not believe in, and realizing I have tremendous faith in Love.  What do you believe in?

No comments:

Post a Comment