Monday, June 3, 2013

PEACE LIST

About a decade ago, I was trying to find peace.  I had recently had a miscarriage and realized if I was going to start a family, I needed a break from the intensity of my fast-paced life.   It was easy to slow down the work schedule and the globe-trotting; however, my passion for justice and fairness in everything from interpersonal to global kept me fired-up.  I compiled a list of ideas to bring calm and comfort: a peace list.   The ideas have been taken from stories, music, people and experiences.   I picked up an old, but special book last night, and my Peace List fell out.  I smiled as I read the simplicity of the words.  Peace truly is quite simple.  The 10 ideas (not in any particular order):

  1. How you were raised is an explanation not an excuse.
  2. Try to look at it from the other person’s perspective.
  3. Don’t take things personally.  People act because of their own wounds—empathize with them.
  4. Validate others when they do good things.
  5. Relax and breathe.
  6. Material things can be replaced.
  7. It’s OK to not have control.  The only things you can control are your actions and reactions.
  8. If someone does not listen, try explaining in a different way instead of getting angry.
  9. Laugh.
  10. Love.


I used to read this list everyday.  It did help me calm my mind and my soul.  Today, though, I find something glaringly missing from the Peace List.  In the words of Yoko Beck, in her book Everyday Zen, “Trust in things being as they are.”  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment