Saturday, March 23, 2013


WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT?

Often, I sit down with my kids to paint an image we have imagined, or capture an adventure we have had.  Sometimes, we just sit and paint without definition.  We let our energy flow through the brush, freely spreading color in whatever shape or design we are feeling.  The last time we sat down to “just” paint, I found myself painting a heart.  When I was done, I stopped to reflect on the sheet of watercolor paper in front of me.  My son asked me about my painting.  I looked up and told him I had painted the spectrum of love.   Of course, the puzzled look from a six year old prompted me to continue explaining the colorful heart in front of us. 

The colors on the left side of the heart were lively, with sunny yellow, bright orange and pretty pink.  This cheery side of the heart was free, happy love.  Happy love blended into a sure and vibrant red in the center of the heart.  At this red core was the power of love.  The red became more forceful as it blended into the right side of the heart, filled with darker colors.  The right side of the heart had deep shades of strong blue and powerful purple.  This side of the heart was destructive love--when love becomes controlling and confined.  Love, I explained to my son, is so powerful that it is in everything we do, feel and say.  I told him when we allow love to be, we can enjoy the brilliance of love; but when we try to control love, we experience the dark side of love. 

Love has everything to do with it.  Our ability to love is our greatest gift.  Love can hurt, but love will fulfill.  Like life itself, love flourishes with freedom.  Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment