Thursday, March 13, 2014

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

Do you ever look back and wonder, “What was I thinking?”  I frequently amuse myself with the thought.  Sometimes, it is about something I have done.  Something that was, perhaps, not the wisest decision I could have made.  Other times, it is about something I wanted to have or wanted to do, but I could not have or did not get.  Reflecting back on these moments is not about playing Monday morning quarterback.  Rather, it is about living in the moment and recognizing I might not be on the path I had wanted, but I am on the path I need to be on.  It is as simple as it sounds.  What happened is over and done; and what did not happen, well, that moment is over and done too.   Did you really miss an opportunity to do something, or were you actually fortunate enough to have avoided it?  Whichever course I actively or passively decide to take, I will end-up where I need to be.  Though it might not always be where I want to be, it is where I am and, accordingly, exactly where I need to be.

It is easy to feed fear and dwell on analysis.  It is just as easy to feed fantasy and dwell on desire.  All that is needed, though, is a pause for reflection.  It is healthy to learn from our choices and understand our decisions.  It is not useful to live with regret, and it is not productive to live in the past or the future.  I am more peaceful when I remember, where I have been and where I am right now is my journey.  I might sprint straight ahead sometimes, and other times I might take a more circuitous path by going up, around and down.  Loved ones might provide a helping hand when I falter, companionship when I am lonely, encouragement when I am unsure and love whether I fail or succeed.  They will travel on various parts of my journey with me, but ultimately, I am responsible for making my journey—as it is.     

No comments:

Post a Comment